Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Larry Gowell on baseball cards

Larry Gowell pitched in the Yankees organization from 1967 to 1974, going 78-53 with a 2.88 ERA. He made the major leagues with the Yankees in 1972, going 0-1 with a 1.29 ERA in two games. He did get the last hit by an American League pitcher before the advent of the DH; the ball he hit is in Cooperstown. He has since gone into music, and is now a full-time singer, performing everywhere from cabaret shows to nursing homes to singing the National Anthem at Fenway Park. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I am not a collector of cards. I do have one card I had made up a year and half ago. Topps never made a card of me, but, took an image of me in 1970 in spring training for one to be released after being in the big leagues a while. I never was so it was never made up. They put the image up on eBay for sale. I purchased it and than called them and had them make up some cards for me that I sold for $10.00 on Facebook and eBay. I sold about 110, not bad for an unknown player."


Thanks!

2 comments: