Thursday, February 15, 2018

Baseball card stories from Gregg Zaun

Catcher Gregg Zaun played sixteen seasons in the major leagues for nine teams. In 1,232 major league games, he hit .252 with 88 HR and 446 RBI. His Gregg Zaun Foundation assists a variety of Canadian charities. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I played 16 years and various card companies, Topps and Upper Deck, I believe put the wrong picture on my card. Happened twice. The first one was Brad Ausmus on my card and then Jason Phillips on my card. 


My favourite minor league card was from 93. It was dubbed the “stop in the name of love” card. Simply a picture of me cautioning a teammate at second base not to try to advance on a ball in the dirt. Simple card but a female friend gave it a great nickname. 

My other favourite card was a Jays card from the big leagues that was an artist’s rendering.
 

I used to collect as a kid. Kept them all in a Rambo Lunch box where they still remain today. There are a few Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray Rookie cards in there. I loved the gum as much as the cards though. Put a few cards in my bike spokes over the years as well. ZOOM ZOOM!!!!"


Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment