Friday, October 20, 2017

Gil Velazquez on baseball cards

Infielder Gil Velazquez played parts of five seasons in the major leagues for the Red Sox, Angels and Marlins. In 33 games he hit .233 with 0 HR and 4 RBI. Now the minor league infield coordinator for the Arizona Diamondbacks, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.


"My favorite card of mine is my very first one. I was in the Appalachian League as an 18 year old and had no idea they made baseball cards of us. I never had one of the big leagues even though I had parts of 5 seasons or else I feel that would have been my favorite. I used to collect baseball card as a kid growing up. We would play marbles to win each other’s cards. I still remember losing a Jose Canseco rookie card and went home crying. Not because he was a favorite player of mine but because it was valuable at the time. My favorite card of another player was my Cal Ripken Jr. card. He was my favorite player. The Iron man!! I never kept my cards due to us moving around so much and I never knew what happened to them. But I still cherish those memories of getting out of school walking home with 50 cents to purchase a pack of cards. I’d buy my cards and walk home crushing the bubble gum in the pack. Great memories."


Thanks! I couldn't find a picture of that card (1999 Multi-Ad Appalachian League All Stars), but here is one from later in his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment