The Bank for Savings was chartered in 1819 as New York's first savings bank, begun to help finance the Erie Canal. In 1892 this branch was built at 22nd Street and 4th Avenue (now Park Avenue South). In 1982 The Bank for Savings merged with State Buffalo Savings Bank and was renamed Goldome Bank for Savings (after the gold dome at the Buffalo headquarters). In 1991 the bank was liquidated, with its assets sold to several other banks.
This location is now a supermarket, but still bears the Bank for Savings name written above the ground floor. . .
. . . as well as on the night depository safe still in the supermarket's wall.
Paul Goldschmidt All-Star Stitches
46 minutes ago