Saturday, December 13, 2014

Kyle Nichols on baseball cards

First baseman Kyle Nichols played in the Diamondbacks, Phillies and Reds organizations from 2001 to 2005, hitting .270 with 80 HR and 300 RBI. He has spent the last nine years playing in the independent leagues, hitting .269 with 110 HR and 499 RBI. This year he hit .268 with 11 HR and 53 RBI for the Amarillo Sox. Also the owner of Nichols Baseball Instruction in Dothan, AL, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"One story I remember is that our catcher in Triple A with Arizona, Craig Ansman, got paid .10 for every card he signed for Topps.  I remember his hand cramping up as he signed and signed and signed cards in the clubhouse in Tucson.  

As for me....my rookie card stated I was the younger brother of Kevin who played with the Phillies.  We always have a laugh that I could never escape his shadow.
 

I own a Rickey Henderson rookie card from the 80's that is by far my favorite card....
 
...although my first professional card is pretty sweet, too.
 


I have a small collection of cards that I collected when I was a kid.  Maybe there are some high dollar cards in there somewhere."

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment