Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Baseball card story from Rocky Cherry

Rocky Cherry pitched for the Cubs and Orioles in 2007 and 2008. In 40 games he went 1-4 with a 5.81 ERA. Now Vice President of Cherry Paint in Dallas, his family's business, he kindly shared this great baseball card story.

"My first card was made when I was with the cubs, still in the Minor Leagues but close to breaking into the Big Leagues. I got a card deal with Upper Deck and Topps and was pumped to be getting some money. I got $1 for every signature. So a guy who had to authenticate every signature, from Upper Deck, came to my house and brought me sheets of paper with little clear stickers. I had to sign each sticker and then they would put the sticker on the card. The authenticator had to watch every signature. So I decided to make a day of it. It was a nice day and so I would sign 100 signatures and then lay out by the pool and drink a few beers with my buddies. Then go back in and sign a few more. I could tell he was getting irritated but I thought it was funny. So, I offered him a beer. He said no at first but after seeing how things were shaking out he caved into the pressure and started drinking. This dude got wasted. We were feeding him shots and having a good time. I ended signing all the stickers and had a lot of fun doing it."

Thanks! I don't have that card, but here is one from my collection, from 2007 Topps Update.


No comments:

Post a Comment