Thursday, November 28, 2013

Bobby Scales on baseball cards

Outfielder-second baseman Bobby Scales played fourteen seasons of professional baseball, including two years in the major leagues with the Cubs and two years in Japan for Hiroshima and Orix. Now the Director of Player Development for the Angels, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"Honestly, I never collected cards or sought autographs. The only cards I had were ones that were given to me. After I looked at them, they ended up in a shoebox under my bed and that was that.
The only memorabilia that I had was a Dominique Wilkins autograph that my father got for me on a napkin in the Atlanta airport. My dad also got a Charles Barkley autograph on a brown paper bag because they were walking out of a restaurant at the same time when the Sixers were in town.

I have to admit having a baseball card is pretty cool. I guess my favorites would be the ones from my two years in Japan. Don't have any idea what they say but oh well! "


Thanks!


1 comment: