Sunday, May 19, 2013

Donnie Scott on baseball cards

Catcher Donnie Scott played thirteen years of professional baseball, including four years in the major leagues with the Rangers, Mariners and Reds. He then had a long minor league managerial career and is now a youth baseball coach in Florida. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I have a decent collection, but it is mostly from the 60's, 70's & 80's, before all of the different card manufacturers saturated the market. I lost interest because it was hard for me to keep up. I started buying complete Topps sets in 1976, but I really enjoyed building them from the bubble gum packs prior to that.That was one of my driving forces as a kid. I was going to get my face on a Topps baseball card. I can still remember the day the 1985 set arrived at my house. One of my proudest moments! Throughout my career as a player and a manager, I often wrote my kids names on my bats when I was posing for trading cards. Then, I started getting my son involved by including him in the shot. The ultimate card for me though was when my father and son joined me on a 2006 Sarasota Reds FSL card. My father has an incredible collection and we often kid about that being his rookie card. I forgot how much fun collecting baseball cards can be. It's time for me to dig out my old collection! "

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment