Saturday, April 13, 2013

Baseball card stories from Paul Byrd

Paul Byrd pitched fourteen seasons in the major leagues, winning 109 games. A three-time 15-game winner, he was a National League All Star with the Phillies in 1999. Now a Braves announcer for Fox Sports South, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?  Yes.  As a pitcher, keeping the bucket is when you are shagging balls for batting practice after you pitch.  One of my favorite cards is one of Chad Ogea carrying the bucket in shorts and knee high socks...  He had no idea he was being photographed and when it came out and he showed us in the locker room, we all laughed.  It was hilarious.
- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?  My favorite card of myself is 2002 Topps Heritage #213.  I think it's cool because it's painted like the cards of the 50's.  Old School!  

- Do you collect baseball cards?  I do collect some cards and memorabilia.  I like the vintage stuff that is hard to come by now.  I picked up a cool Joe Louis small signed photo the other day.  Whitey Ford wrote me a letter while I was playing, which gave me the chills.  I love my picture of Warren Spahn and Johnny Sain, that is signed by each and Spahn wrote, "Pray for Rain".  The coolest card I have is signed by Col. James Hickey.  It is a card of Saddam Hussein and Hickey is the man who found him...

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment