Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Player Profile: Garrett Atkins

Check out the newest This Week in Baseball Cards at the Hall of Very Good. Speaking of the HOVG, I'm glad to note that I'll be participating in the inaugural "HOVG Heroes" project. It's a really cool project with a lot of big names participating and I'm honored to be a part of it.
I have fifteen cards of Garrett Atkins. This one is from 2006 Ultra.

Playing career: Third baseman Garrett Atkins came up with the Rockies in 2003 and quickly looked like a star, putting up back to back seasons in 2006 and 2007 of topping.300, 20 HR, 110 RBI. He slipped a bit in 2008, then came crashing to earth in 2009, hitting .226 with 9 HR and 48 RBI. He played in 44 games with the Orioles in 2010 before being released in July.

My memories: Was vaguely aware of him, but the Rockies are the team I think about maybe the least, so he never really registered in my consciousness as either a star or a bust.

Where he is now: Went to spring training with the Pirates in 2011 but was released.

Google Autocomplete results: He is second when you type Garrett A ,between Garrett Ace 250, a metal detector, and Garrett Anderson, a Baltimore-area musician (or a misspelling of the former Angels outfielder). There do not appear to be any other prominent Garrett Atkinses.

Coming up next: The next profile will be Bill Atkinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment