Monday, April 2, 2012

Ryan Cameron on baseball cards

Ryan Cameron pitched ten years in the Rockies, Red Sox and Phillies organizations, winning 48 games and saving 32. Now a Global Fleet Program Manager at GE Wind, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
I remember in 2003 when my first “real” cards came out. I think the first I actually saw was the 2003 Donruss Champions card of myself. As cool as the card was, the best part was that I was in a set with Don Mattingly. He was my hero and he is a legend series adder to that set. Needless to say I have both his and mine in my case at home.


- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
My favorite cards is a long list. I love the cards that are from the big years for guys, i.e. 56 Topps Larsen, 61 Topps Maris and Mantle, I absolutely love the 50 and 51 Bowmans and the 53 Topps. Satchel Paige’s 53 Topps is a favorite. I have a 56 Topps Mantle, the 61 Maris, a pristine 77 Reggie Jackson, nearly all Mattingly’s cards in PSA 10, a T-206 Cy Young Portrait (Sweet Corporal)… My father-in-law has a magnificent collection, he actually owns the highest rated Paul Hornung collection in the world. He has the 51 Bowman Mantle in a PSA 7, some terrific 53 Topps, Unitas and Hornung Rookies… He also owns some great sports legends cards, Jack Dempsey’s, ND Heisman winner rookies, Bobby Jones… some great stuff. He made me appreciate the graded cards and got me started collecting them. Prior to that I was solely and autograph guy, largely due to my access as a player to the HOFers and stars.
- Do you collect baseball cards?
Yes. My goal is to get the entire Mattingly basic set (Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score, Upper Deck…) in PSA 10. I am about 90% there now and own all of his rookies in PSA 10.

Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment