Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Brett Evert on baseball cards

Brett Evert pitched eight seasons in the Braves, Mariners, Brewers and Red Sox organizations, winning 43 games. Now the Northwest Scouting Supervisor for the Braves, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.
- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
I remember seeing my first card in Salem, Va. I was so excited to autograph it but wanted to keep it for myself.
When I was a kid I made a wonderful trade. I traded a Frank Thomas rookie for a 1973 Roberto Clemente. I had heard my father speak of Clemente and knew this was a good trade even though The Big Hurt was very popular at the time.
- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
My favorite card of myself is the jersey card made from the jersey I wore in the 2002 Futures Game.
My favorite card in my collection is a 1962 autographed Mickey Mantle.- Do you collect baseball cards?
Yes I still collect cards from time to time. I mostly look for cards of people I played with or against.


Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome responses on the last two posts! I love it when players pay such close attention to cards.

    ReplyDelete