Sunday, June 2, 2024

1976 SSPC Darrel Chaney

 

The card, in brief: Chaney gets down low to smile through his chaw at the photographer. I believe that is #31 Clay Kirby behind him.

The player, in brief: Darrel Chaney was a weak-hitting, decent-fielding middle infielder for the Reds and Braves from 1969 to 1979. In 915 games he hit .217 with 14 HR and 190 RBI. As a member of the Big Red Machine he played in 19 postseason games and was even worse - 3 hits in 35 at bats for an .086 average.

Post-playing career, in brief: Chaney has gone in to a long career in sales and public speaking. In 2010 the terrific blog Cardboard Gods ran a long, funny, foul-mouthed post with Chaney's card, though it was mostly about non-baseball matters. The next year I emailed Chaney with the questions I often ask former players, and he said he would not participate because he was offended by the other blog. I wasn't mad about that, I actually thought it was pretty funny.

My collection: I have 14 of his cards, from 1969 to 1979. I would be interested in trading for 1977 Hostess #57.

No comments:

Post a Comment