Saturday, October 9, 2021

Some more minor league fun

Here's some more highlight from the package from Penny Sleeves. No real theme here, just other cards too fun not to show.

I have a few 1990 Best cards, but had never seen the checklist, in all of it's hot pink '90s glory.

Here's an unusual card.
Doyle Harris got on a few Louisville Redbirds cards per TCDB but this is the only one where he's called "Midget Mascot". He was in an Sports Illustrated article about the Redbirds in 1983, which mentioned Harris joining the team in a bench clearing brawl against Oklahoma City. "Asked if he had hit anybody, Harris said, 'No—but if they'd had a midget, I'd have kicked his butt.'"

There were plenty of star cards in the lot. My favorite was Andy Pettitte on the Greensboro Hornets.

There were lots of cards from the 1989 and 1990 Star team sets, the first minor league sets I was aware of as a kid. This was my favorite of the bunch.
Here's a great photo of Dave McCorckle in somebody's backyard.
Finally, the oddest oddball in the lot. It's a 1987 college baseball card for Daron Akins of David Lipscomb University in Nashville. Looks a lot like the 1973 Topps design.



5 comments:

  1. That hot pink header card is awesome. Definitely reminds me of the late 80's and early 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! A backyard card. That's such a classic minor league thing to do. I've never been a minor league card collector, but after seeing a bunch of your recent posts, I might have to pick up a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all of the Vermont Mariners from that set share the same background. I'm pretty sure I have somebody from it on a want list, and I chose it primarily because of the background.

    ReplyDelete