Wednesday, March 18, 2020

1981 Topps Rollie Fingers

The front: Simple headshot of one of the more recognizable faces in baseball at this time.

The back: The long-time veteran didn’t have room on the back for a blurb.

The player: A seven-time All-Star, Rollie Fingers was one of the first of the modern closers, moving permanently to the bullpen in 1972, leading the relievers of the three-peat Oakland A’s. He then signed with the Padres, where he had some of his best seasons. After the 1980 season he was traded to the Brewers, and he won the AL MVP award in his first season in Milwaukee, going 6-3 with 28 saves and a 1.04 ERA, allowing just nine runs the entire (strike-shortened) season. When he retired in 1985 his 341 saves were first all-time.

The man: Fingers is now an alumni ambassador for the Oakland A’s.

My collection: I have 28 of his cards, from 1972 to 1986. I would be interested in trading for 1969 Topps #597, 1970 Topps #502, 1971 Topps #384 and 1976 Topps #405.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Didn't realize he's working with the A's these days. I remember him mostly for his time with the Brewers... but most of the cards I own feature him with my two favorite teams: the A's & Padres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't remember the Brewers trading directly with the Padres for Fingers and after looking it up, I was reminded the Padres first sent Fingers to the Cardinals and then the Cardinals sent Fingers and a boat-load of great players to the Brewers. Milwaukee ruled that trade!

    ReplyDelete