Friday, October 26, 2018

1981 Topps Jose Morales

The front: You didn’t see the Twins home uniform on Topps cards that often in this era. Not sure if this is spring training or Metropolitan Stadium.
 
The back: The back talks about Morales as a DH, but he is listed as a C-1B on this card. In 1980 Morales played in 85 games as a DH, and two games each as a catcher and a first baseman. So it’s actually a bit of a coup that Topps was able to get a picture of him in catching gear!
The player: Morales was a first baseman and occasional catcher in his years with Montreal. Upon moving to the American League he became a full-time DH, though. In 1981 he was a DH with the Orioles. In 1982 he returned to the National League with the Dodgers playing in 104 games in three years, but only playing in the field four times – he was almost exclusively a pinch hitter. One of the best pinch hitters of his time, he held the single-season pinch hit total for over twenty years.
 
The man: Morales was a major league hitting coach for many years and still works privately with some big leaguers.
 
My collection: I have 14 of his cards, from 1978 to 1984. I would be interested in trading for 1976 Topps #418 and 1977 Topps #102.

1 comment:

  1. I had to go to my '81 Topps binder to see if I had this card. I don't remember it at all!

    ReplyDelete