Monday, August 20, 2018

1981 Topps Jim Wohlford

The front: The Giants’ black uniforms are a little before my time. I always enjoy seeing those. What NL ballpark had green walls?

The back: Wohlford never played shortstop in the major leagues. It is common for teams to draft and sign a lot of shortstops because they are so athletic, and eventually move them to other positions. Wohlford played 896 big league games, making ten appearances at 2nd and nine at 3rd.
The player: Not counting the league leaders, we are three cards in and already up to our second “fourth outfielder”. In fact, Wohlford was basically Pete LaCock’s predecessor in this role in Kansas City. After three years with the Giants he would play four years in Montreal.

The man:  Wohlford has gone on to a successful career as a financial advisor, currently Branch Manager for Stifel in Visalia, CA. He is also active in raising money for his alma mater, the College of the Sequoias.

My collection: I have 26 of his cards, from 1974 to 1987. I would be interested in trading for 1973 Topps #611 and 1977 Topps #622.


1 comment:

  1. I think it might have been taken in Candlestick, actually..

    ReplyDelete