Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Nelson Rood on baseball cards

Infielder Nelson Rood played in the Astros, Brewers and Angels organizations from 1983 to 1990. In 708 games he hit .259 with 3 HR, 172 RBI and 176 SB. Now the Director of Operations at H5 Media, an aerial filming company in Scottsdale, AZ, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players? 
I do not have any real stories about other players cards.  I do know that it was completely random when the card companies would arrive to take pictures.  They would arrive early and would request a picture before warm up as they wanted us in our uniforms.  Some card pictures were taken in practice uniforms.  It was really random.  But that was in the 80's.  So who knows if it is now more organized or not.
- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
I have a bag of minor league cards of guys that I played with.  Most of the sets have never been opened.  Ken Caminiti and Craig Biggio's Triple A cards are probably my favorite.  I enjoyed playing with both of those guys.



- Do you collect baseball cards?
Actually I do not collect cards.  My collections are very small.  I have a signed page in a large picture book of Nolan Ryan.  The only reason I was able to get that autograph because my locker was next to his in one of my three Major League camps.
Yogi Berra was one of the coaches on that team and I had a ball autographed for my father-in-law.  Yes, I could have collected so much more stuff, but I have never been a collector of anything.
Thanks!

1 comment: