Saturday, February 13, 2016

Player Profile: Jose Abreu

I have one card of Jose Abreu, from 2015 Topps Heritage.

Playing career: Outfielder Jose Abreu was a high-profile Cuban defector who had a terrific first season with the White Sox, winning the Rookie of the Year award as he hit .317 with 36 HR and 107 RBI, leading the American League with a .581 slugging percentage and a 173 OPS+.

Where he is now: He avoided the sophomore jinx in 2015, hitting .290 with 30 HR and 101 RBI.

My memories: I remember him being a highly touted acquisition for the White Sox, but I hadn’t realized just how well he had lived up to the hype. I guess that’s what happens for a star on a bad team.

Google Autocomplete results: He is second when you type Juan Ab, between Juan Abello, a billionaire, and Juan Abad, a playwright. Another prominent Juan Abreu is an author.

Coming up next: The next profile will be Kevin Ahrens.

No comments:

Post a Comment