Thursday, August 26, 2010

Don Stanhouse on baseball cards

Don Stanhouse pitched for ten seasons in the major leagues, winning 38 games and saving 64. His best season was 1979, when he went 7-3 with 21 saves as he made the AL All-Star team and led the Orioles to the pennant. He was known as "Fullpack" for pitching into and out of trouble, causing manager Earl Weaver to smoke a full pack of cigarettes out of nervousness. Since his retirement he has been active in the energy industry, and is the Principal Owner of Pro Players Power and Gas, an energy broker which helps businesses and homeowners find the lowest rates possible for their electricity. He kindly shared with me his thoughts on baseball cards.

"We used to joke about the cards, the card pictures and the guys that shot the pictures. Where it is shaving cream in the face these days, we made taking the baseball card pictures a NEW adventure in picture taking!

Each card has a special meaning, that I know they do. At the time, it
was kind of corny to do the pose of pitching so I have always liked each card and feel honored to have as many as I do.

I never have collected baseball cards although I have all of the card books. Used to go through them when the kids were younger but I think the adults have just as much fun ... At least you can TELL the stories to the adults!!"

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment