Saturday, October 26, 2024

A lot of idiocy

The title doesn't mention the Yankees' infuriating manager, or their lack of focus on the basepaths or in the field. Nope, it's my idiocy in buying a couple more lots that I probably shouldn't have.

These were two by the same seller, at least he combined shipping to make it a little more palatable. In both cases I won with the only bid.

Starting with the one I bid on second, just because I always check a seller's other listings, saw it was a large lot with shiny refractors and stuff, and made a "what the heck" bid. And it is true that colorful shiny cards like this make me smile.

But too much of the rest of the lot was from the last couple of years, and I find it hard to get very excited about them. Perhaps in a few years I will appreciate them more.
Especially all of this Bowman, I should have realized how much Bowman there was and stayed away.

The second lot was much better. I was actually afraid when I opened it that it was another one that was mostly junkwax, but there was a lot beyond. Star cards mostly from the 80's and 90's. Enough variety that it was a lot more fun.

There were two oversized cards in the lot. It was all baseball except for this unusual hockey foldout thing. I don't collect hockey so it's available for trade. So is the oversized Clemens as I already have that complete set.


Lots of Jeters! I think there was even more than this. Two lots in a row with Jeters. I traded a few of them to Al the other day. But like last time most are keepers. Unusual to get so many Jeters at once. (Still seems next to impossible to get many Riveras.)
Some fun oddities like a Gary Sheffield Broder. I thought the Griffey "Fax Pax" was unlicensed too but it turns out to be a legit card, printed in the UK. A random jersey card is always nice too.
Closing off with a few more fun photos and cards. I got these the day Valenzuela died so I included his card in the photo. The card I was most excited about was the 1987 Nestle Frank Robinson. I collected about half of that set as a kid (I guess I ate a lot of chocolate bars), and unlike most cards of that era, I virtually never come across them. Adding another card to that set is a fun surprise.


No comments:

Post a Comment