Wednesday, December 19, 2018

1981 Topps Royals Future Stars

Skipping “front” and “back” for this card and just focusing on the players.
 
Manny Castillo
The player: Castillo played in seven games for the Royals in 1980. After the 1981 season, the Royals traded him to Seattle for Bud Black. While Black pitched several seasons for the Royals and helped them win a World Series, Castillo played just two years in Seattle, hitting .243 with 3 HR and 73 RBI in 228 games.
 
The man: Castillo has been a minor league coach for the Tampa Bay Rays since their inception in 1998. In 2018 he coached at Class-A Bowling Green.
 
My collection: I have six of his cards, from 1981 to 1984. I would be interested in trading for 1984 TCMA Syracuse Chiefs #24.
 
Tim Ireland
The player: Ireland played in just eleven major league games with the Royals in 1981 and 1982, getting one hit in seven at-bats, though he scored three runs due to use as a pinch-runner.
 
The man: Ireland has been a coach and scout for several organizations. He and card-mate Castillo were both Rays employees for a few years in the late 2000s when he was a scout in Asia for the team.
 
My collection: This is the only card I have of Ireland. I would be interested in trading for 1981 TMCA Omaha Royals #18.
 
Mike Jones
The player: Jones pitched thirteen seasons of professional baseball, including parts of four seasons for the Royals between 1980 and 1985. In 71 games (25 starts), he went 11-10 with a 4.43 ERA.
 
The man: For the past fourteen years he has been head baseball coach at the Episcopal School of Jacksonville.
 
My collection: I have nine of his cards, from 1981 to 1990. I would be interested in trading for 1986 ProCards Richmond Braves #10.
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping we eventually get a card where at the "My collection" section, you've already got all the guys's cards and there's nothing left you'd be interested in trading for! haha

    ReplyDelete