Saturday, March 17, 2018

Gary Burnham on baseball cards

First baseman Gary Burnham played ten seasons of professional baseball, mostly in the Phillies organization. In 1,105 games, he hit .291 with 116 HR and 636 RBI. Now the owner of Gary Burnham Baseball Instruction in South Windsor, CT, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"When I was a little kid I always used to look at my uncle Ralph Giansanti's baseball card of him on the Anderson Braves.  I wanted to be just like him.  It was the coolest thing in the world to be on a baseball card.  So I probably have about 15 different ones.  My favorite card is Upper Deck 2001.  Super cool card.  My friends Billy Koch and Kris Benson used to get money for signing cards for Bowman, etc.... I used to watch them sign cards all night during spring training.  Another cool experience.  

I collected cards in the mid-late 80's. Best baseball card is probably Griffey Jr and best overall card is probably Jordan 86 Fleer rookie."

Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment