Saturday, February 1, 2014

John Powers on baseball cards

Infielder John Powers played seven years of professional baseball in the Padres, Cubs and Rangers organizations. In 619 games he hit .270 with 37 HR and 215 RBI. Now a corporate lawyer and owner of Powers Law in Scottsdale, AZ, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

" I had baseball cards as a minor leaguer of course, but do have ONE that was nationally printed. It's a 1998 card of SP prospects. That would be my favorite card. The actual photo is of me hitting in a game, and it was my first at-bat in my first game back after missing a few games due to injury. I know that on the swing in the photo, it was an off-speed pitch that was high and away, and I was early, but it was a soft line drive off to left field the end of my bat for a hit. So, I know the exact picture and what happened. Kinda neat.
The other cool thing is I went to a D'backs game after the minor league season and some kid walked right up to me and asked for my autograph. I wasn't famous but it felt kinda cool to be recognized! That was also in 1998.  
 I collected cards. My favorite card would probably be an old Ted Williams card (1958?) in horrible condition. I have a LOT of Mike Greenwell cards, as he was my favorite player growing up."
Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. very cool! That's great that he can remember that specific at-bat.

    ReplyDelete