Friday, January 27, 2023

118,630 cards

Almost exactly a year after I started, I have all my baseball cards available for trade input onto TCDB. I was guessing it was somewhere over 100,000 and I was right. I've been doing it backwards, starting with tradelists rather than wantlists. Besides getting me more involved with TCDB as a resource for trading, it has also been a great way to trade with bloggers who have player collections, because it automatically sorts by player. I've reached out to some of you already, will be reaching out to more, and welcome any others to use my TCDB trade list to generate some new trades. I sort my cards by set, so PC trades were always difficult, and this makes it much easier. 

When I started this project, I figured I would eliminate my own tradelist at the end, but I've decided to hold on to it. (I was definitely going to keep the wantlist up for ease of use if I needed to quickly access it at a store, vendor, etc.) However, it is still useful to have an easy list by set, and the site is still buggy enough that I would be wary of losing my whole list, temporarily or permanently. 

The stats feature is pretty interesting (when it works, fortunately it is today). TCDB "values" the cards at a total of $28.051. Honestly, I'd take 10% of that if someone wanted to take them all at once. Here are my top 20 highest value cards. Not that high value for the most part. The biggest ones are vintage (which are generally in rough shape) and some modern rookies. #4 is a shocker - even though it's a copyright variation, no way it's a $2 card let alone $20. TCDBers do love those variations though - the majority of trades I've done recently on there have been from people reaching out to me about them.

 

Here's my top 20 most common players. TCDB counts multiple copies of a card here, so for example Tom Glavine gets boosted from the 95 copies I have of his 1991 Upper Deck. Nolan Ryan gets a boost from all of those Pacific cards. Naturally these are all junk wax era names, and heavy on Yankees and Mets from buying local collections. If you've been thinking about PCing any of these guys, let me know!

 

I'll always be a blogger first, but TCDB is a great resource for trades. I'm not sure how involved, if at all, I'd get involved in the community there. For example, I'd like to be able to note card errors where they're not noted. Sometimes in player or photographer interviews, they've mentioned a wrong photo or other error. I tried submitting one once, using "See Any Inaccuracies?", but never got a response. Does anyone know the proper way to submit an error?

Anyway, in the 12 months of going through all of my dupes, finding interesting variations, mistakes in my filing (another reason I decided to do TCDB is that my tradelist was getting pretty mistake-filled), and learning more about my cards, I spent a lot of time looking at cards I hadn't looked at in a while. This was actually the genesis of my vintage equipment series, which will extend to modern cards. And sometimes I would have some fun with the large quantities of individual cards. Mitch "Tarzan" Webster had a pretty good rope to swing from in 1988.

But he had a much longer one a year earlier.
OK, one more and then I'll stop.


13 comments:

  1. I am sure if feels great to have that project done. You have a few Cardinals I can use. Will shoot you a trade offer on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The multiplicity of Webster and Salazar cards has a certain beauty to it, and I think doing it with other cards should become a semi-regular feature on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how they treat those errors you mentioned. A bunch of 55 Bowman cards have the wrong birth year for the player, but it's rarely noted in tcdb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inaccuracy report is still best way to denote uncorrected errors. I think once you reach a certain level it is something you can fix yourself too.

      Delete
  4. Though I signed up with TCDB I just can't see myself logging so many cards in there. And to log cards consistently over a year? I think my patience would wear a bit thin. But kudos to you for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt that I will ever be done entering my stuff on TCDB, but I have come a very long way myself. Now that I am home (once my garage is set up right). I should be kicking butt on that project. So, Congrats on completing that portion of your project, I look forward to completing any thing there, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started inventorying and logging my collection to tcdb this week. This is gonna take a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still inventorying my collection. I started uploading my trade list content, but it is SO BORING. I also can't picture myself figuring out ticky-tack variations for the sake of trading. But who knows, could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From looking at your want lists and matching on TCDb, we could make a large trade across the years and eliminate many of those single wants you have. Everything I have for trade (other than multiples) and what I want priority wise is on TCDb. I also collect anything baseball so a lot of sets are not on my want list but I am willing to take in trade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive to have so much logged. I only have my Tinos and a few others. I have no intention of logging my full collection.

    I have no idea how they drive at their "values", but IMO are the wackiest thing on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa. You were able to inventory 100k cards this past year. That's very impressive and it kind of gives me hope and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1992 Donruss Cecil Fielder is $20? I may be missing something there. But big congrats on getting that done I will never have that kind of motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing off that project!

    ReplyDelete