Thursday, December 8, 2022

Baseball card stories from Scott Spiezio

The son of former major leaguer Ed Spiezio, infielder Scott Spiezio played 12 seasons in the major leagues for the A's, Angels, Mariners and Cardinals. His best season was 2002, when he hit .285 with 12 HR and 82 RBI in the regular season, tied a major league record with 19 RBI in the postseason, and with the Angels down three games to two in the World Series, and losing 5-0 in the 7th inning of Game 6, he hit a three-run home run to kick off the Angels' remarkable comeback. Overall, in 1,273 games he hit .255 with 119 HR and 549 RBI. Now a youth baseball coach in Morris, IL, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"My dad has a misprint card that blocks out part of our last name that's pretty neat. His rookie card has his middle name Wayne instead of his first name. It's a duel card with Nelson Briles. 


I have a card taken during the California League AllStar game in 1994 where I'm wearing a Rockies helmet. We forgot our Modesto A's helmets. Tony Batista was my teammate and fellow allstar. I hit a home run and won the MVP even though I had food poisoning. I have a card where I'm juggling because I was bored with my other cards and talked the photographer into shooting it. I collect my dad's and my cards to display at my baseball facility. I collected cards from age 8-18 years of age. Unfortunately most of those years 1980-1991 the cards are not worth much."

Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I probably have the 1995 Upper Deck Minors card somewhere and never would have spotted he was wearing a Rockies batting helmet.

    Good job getting a 'moment' with this Angel all-time great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. Love getting "behind-the-scenes" info on cards like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post. I especially loved Spiezio in 2002!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems weird that I've never seen that '67 error before. I'm amazed that that was able to actually make it into packs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could get Ed Sr's card that he has of 67 1 of 2 Variants I still need for my set.

    ReplyDelete