Monday, September 5, 2022

The 1962 World Series

I recently picked up the World Series subset from 1963 Topps.

Games one and two were pitchers duels in San Francisco, as the teams split the first two games. The Whitey Ford card is one of two I had already and is open for trade.

The series moved back to the Bronx for Games 3-5. The Yankees won Game 3 3-2 by scoring three runs in the seventh inning; Roger Maris drove in the first two runs with a base hit and eventually scored the third run. Maris is actually the runner on first on this great card. In Game 4 the Giants got big home runs from Haller and Hiller to knot up the series. Game 5 was one by an eighth-inning home run by Tom Tresh; this card is also available for trade.
The series moved back to SF with the Yankees needing to win just one game. They were stifled by Billy Pierce in Game 6, and were held to just one run in Game 7 by Jack Sanford. However, Ralph Terry was masterful, pitching a four-hit shutout, and getting out of a ninth inning jam when Willie McCovey hit a line drive to Bobby Richardson to end the game.

McCovey's near-miss was instantly legendary, as captured in a Peanuts cartoon in December of 1962.

I went out of my usual price range to grab these cards - the lot was about $2 a card. Why? That awesome Roger Maris Game 3 card was recently in a blogger giveaway. I was too late to get that card, and it went to someone who else who I know will appreciate it as much as I do. Ever since I've been on the lookout for that card in various lots, willing to pay a little more after missing out on the free one. I know that may be weird, just how my mind works. After missing out quite a few times, this was the lot I ended up getting.



1 comment:

  1. I think that this is my favorite 60's WS subset. The action photos are just so great!

    ReplyDelete