Saturday, August 21, 2021

1984 Cramer Pacific Coast League set

Other than the cards I showed yesterday, these were the newest cards in the box. It is a complete 250 card set, but out by Cramer Sports Promotions, the company that eventually became Pacific. The set is organized by teams, with a few extras at the end that I guess were late insertions. In the box I bought, the team sets were all over the place, and the more notable names were in a different part, so it was a while before I realized there was a complete set in there.

Here is each set, with a couple of cards highlighted for each one.

Edmonton Trappers (Angels) - not too much of interest here. My eye was drawn to the big McDonald's sign behind Marty Kain, and the fans lounging with their feet up behind Steve Finch.

Hawaii Islanders (Pirates) - One thing I like about junkwax-era minor league cards that wasn't in much supply with the vintage cards was goofiness. Chuck Hartenstein laughing on the phone really stands out here. Also check out blogger favorite Bob Walk!
Albuquerque Dukes (Dodgers) - some notable names including Franklin Stubbs and a young Terry Collins.
Salt Lake Gulls (Mariners) - Danny Tartabull, Harold Reynolds, Ivan Calderon - some big names here.
Tacoma Tigers (A's). Mike Gallego sighting. Bruce Robinson's card is one of the more interesting in a set of mostly generic poses.
Tucson Toros (Astros). Early card of Glenn Davis. I like the Jamie Williams card, catcher at night, the minor league equipment in kind of rough shape.
Vancouver Canadians (Brewers) - Tom Candiotti and Doug Jones were the two best pitchers on the Indians in the late '80s, both were Brewers castoffs. A couple of Hall of Fame names with Bob Gibson and Frankie Thomas.
Phoenix Giants - notable cards include Rob Deer, Dan Gladden, and Tim Blackwell's mustache.



 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Cramer was the predecessor to Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t either. Bo, these cards are fantastic. I have many of the Cramer Phoenix Giants team sets from around this era but not this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff. That Tim Blackwell mustache is the most impressive of his I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some cards from this set sitting in a box of unwanted minor league cards. The card design is okay, but most of the photos don't do very much for me.

    ReplyDelete