Friday, July 5, 2019

1981 Topps Gorman Thomas

The front: Thomas manages to look fierce and intimidating even while relaxing on the dugout steps with a towel during spring training.

The back: In 1978 the Wisconsin Sports Personality of the Year was also a Brewer, George Bamberger.
The player: Stormin’ Gorman Thomas was one of the biggest stars on the great Brewer teams of the early 1980s. An all-or-nothing hitter of a type very familiar today, he twice led the AL in home runs and twice led in strikeouts. Five times he hit over 30 home runs; five times he struck out over 130 times. He did take his walks, topping 80 four times in a low-walk environment. For his career he hit just .225, with 268 HR and 762 RBI. His 162 game average numbers look like a typical 2019 player: .225 BA, .324 OBP, 30 HR, 80 BB, 150 K.

The man: Thomas now sells Stormin Sauce, a mustard-based barbecue source for pulled pork and other dishes.

My collection: I have 34 of his cards, from 1974 to 1987. I would be interested in trading for 1986 Fleer All Stars #11.

4 comments:

  1. I just went on a search for a list of Wisconsin Sports Personalities of the Year, but it seems to be lost to time.

    Picturing every current player as Gorman Thomas is interesting. I think I may like them more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sauce looks rather good. If I buy some, will you earn a small commission for adding the link to your page?

    ReplyDelete
  3. People often forget that when Roger Clemens struck out 20 the first time, Gorman Thomas took him deep and prevented the no-hitter and shutout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look like Joey Gallo numbers. I was a little too young to remember Gorman and the rest of "Harvey's wallbangers" but I've heard it was a fun team.

    ReplyDelete