In 1924 New York City introduced a new stoplight pole with a wheel decoration (nicknamed "Wheelies" by modern fans). The wheel resembled what automobile wheels looked like at the time - not very different from wagon wheels. Most were replaced in the 1950s and 1960s but the two at the 46th Street entrance to the Park Avenue Viaduct were landmarked, so they remain in place even though their traffic lights have been removed.
MSN quick links of the week
3 hours ago