Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Player Profile: Jeff Brantley

I have 62 cards of Jeff Brantley. This one is from 1992 Ultra.

Playing career: Jeff Brantley pitched fourteen years in the major leagues, mostly for the Giants and Reds. In 615 games he went 43-46 with 172 saves and a 3.39 ERA. In 1996 he led the national league with 44 saves for the Reds.

Where he is now: A TV announcer for the Reds. He isgenerally considered one of the worst announcers in baseball. His lowest moment was talking about working on the World Baseball Classic, saying of pronouncing the players on the Taiwan and China teams, “I was ching-chang-ing to death.”

My memories: I remember him vaguely as a pitcher for the Giants. I had actually forgotten he was a reliever and not a starter. I think I would confuse him with John Burkett.

Google Autocomplete results: He is ninth when you type Jeff Bra, between Jeff Brameier, lacrosse coach at Darien High School in Connecticut, and Jeff Brandes, a Florida state senator. Another Jeff Brantley is a psychiatrist at the Duke Department of Psychiatry.

Coming up next: The next profile will be Michael Brantley.

No comments:

Post a Comment