Saturday, January 3, 2015

My Wallet Card

I have been thinking for a while about a new inspiration for this blog. While I enjoy doing the daily player profiles I get the feeling it might be getting stale for some readers and I was wondering what to do mix in. Then today I read Gavin's Game of Wallet Card idea from his terrific blog Baseball Card Breakdown.

That gave me a great idea. Another area I am becoming interested in is the many things to see and do in midtown. Manhattan where I work. I have become a big fan of blogs like Scouting New York and  Facebook groups like NYC 1950 to Present. Lately I've been taking a lot of walks around the area where I work, and there are so many interesting things that would be just perfect for this project. I would avoid super-touristy attractions like Times Square or the Empire State Building but there are so many cool things that would be fun to share, and the wallet card project would be the perfect way to do it. I am thinking that I will post pictures of the wallet card in some interesting place and post at least once a week, and maybe more, with a short description of why I chose that particular location. I've already got a ton of ideas.

But which card should I pick - that was a hard decision! I didn't want to do a full-size card because it would be mangled instantly in my wallet. I know some bloggers are interested to see what happens to a card over time, but my collection is not condition sensitive and I've got a ton of beat-up cards already. However, I don't have many minis. Looking at some of my mini cards, I had the inspiration to use the 1988 Topps Sticker Backs. I actually collected stickers before I switched to cards as a kid. When Topps switched from paper sticker backs to little "baseball cards" on the back, I was very excited. A sticker (or two) and a card all in one! It's actually the first baseball card set I ever completed. And there was no better choice for this Yankee fan as to who should represent the set in my wallet than Donnie Baseball himself, Don Mattingly.

Readers, let me know if you do not want to see too much of this card throughout the year, as I might easily do 50 or 100 of these. If, on the other hand, you like the idea and have any specific requests of places in midtown Manhattan you'd like to see him end up, I'd love to hear them. I may occasionally do a Long Island picture, and I'll definitely do Yankee Stadium when I go to a game, but this will be very Manhattan-centric. Hope you enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. Is the Carnegie Deli in Midtown? Love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I was thinking something similar...but with Cincinnati haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome choice, Bo! Looking forward to the photos you'll be sharing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two if my favorite things: Baseball and going places. My favorite site for going places is RoadsideAmerica.com It's the first place I go when planning any trip to see a game or elsewhere. They have a bunch of NYC places that Donnie might like to visit.

    ReplyDelete