Thursday, July 31, 2014

Baseball card stories from Rick Asadoorian

Rick Asadoorian was drafted as an outfielder in the first round of the 1999 draft by Boston. After seven years in the Red Sox, Cardinals, Rangers and Reds organizations he switched to pitching, last appearing for the Can-Am League Worcester Tornadoes in 2010. Now the Men's Baseball Recruiting Director at SportsForce, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I do not really collect cards myself. Although I do have at least one of each that has been given to me over the years. I had fans who were very generous and gave me a few cards at times when I signed for them. I signed as many cards as possible for fans and continue to do so when asked. My favorite card of mine is the card where I am jumping up the wall to catch a ball. While that wasn't in a game it was in fact a real catch. The ball was thrown from about 100 feet away and i went up and caught it. It was very fun.
 
The best story I have for you is from when I was in Augusta playing for the Greenjackets in the South Atlantic league in the Red Sox System. There was a fan at the game early and had about 40 cards of mine in a well kept book. Since he was the only one there I signed about half of his cards. I only signed half because of what he said to me. While signing the cards, he asked if I would like to have any of the cards. That was common for fans to offer a card or 2 for me taking the time to sign for them so I said "sure, that would be great. My dad will love them." after I said that he said he would trade some cards for a pair of Batting Gloves. Here I am signing a bunch of cards for this random guy and he asks me that. After that I said I was done signing for him and said seriously?. That still bothers me to this day. I always take care of those who take care of me."

Thanks! Here is a card of him from my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment