Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Kerry Taylor on baseball cards

Kerry Taylor pitched nine years of professional baseball, including two years in the major leagues with the Padres. Now a Regional Sales Manager at Ziegler Ag Equipment in Minnesota, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

" I don’t really have any interesting stories about baseball cards. The card companies kept things under control and laid out their rules very clearly after the 1989 Billy Ripken “Fu#% Face” card was published. We had to behave ourselves since they threatened to not print our cards if we didn’t.

I don’t recall any particular baseball card that caught my attention over any other one. I thought it was strange that a George Bell card I had was spelled “Jorge” until I heard that is how he originally spelled his name. I didn’t pay too much attention to baseball cards while I was playing.

I collected baseball cards in the early ‘80’s when I was growing up but nothing since then. I still have those cards today but haven’t looked at them for years. I remember Pete Rose, Rollie Fingers, Goose Gossage, and Dave Conception action cards being some of my favorites growing up though."

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I remember as a kid getting Kerry Taylor's autograph at a Padres Store signing. I've since lost the card (though I still have the one that Gene Harris signed), but remember that he was a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete