Thursday, September 24, 2026

Roundup

Some great cards that have come my way in the past month . . . 

Two fun retro inserts and a really great card of Cal Ripken and Alex Rodriguez reading Superman and Superboy comics. I don't know if it's intentional or not but the back covers of both comics have trading card ads (Batman and Phantom, respectively). These are from griffey423, TCDB. 


Sir Nailhead is on TCDB but is also a great blogger. In exchange for some mostly trashed cards, he sent two pack fresh early 60s cards . . . 

. . . and 15 cards from the 1998 Metal set. I pretty much just need a few big stars. This is my favorite modern set to collect and it's exciting to get closer to the finish line.
While there is a lot to like about this set, my favorites are the ones that incorporate NYC photos. The Edgardo Alfonzo card has Radio City Music Hall in the background, and you can even read the marquee with the upcoming shows. It advertises singer Luis Miguel for several days in late September and early October. I looked it up and determined that the photo was taken in 1995.


 Finally, some recent eBay wins. Great photo of Dodgers star Duke Snider.

I love a cheap prewar card. 1939 Play Ball of Lew Riggs of the Reds. The back of the card notes that he was one of the best fielding third basemen in the league.
Finally, a lot of three card from 1960 Leaf that I won for a dollar. I had Grim already so that's available for trade. On the one hand, the cards seem a little boring because they're just black and white head shots. However, the cards were printed on stock that was more like photo paper than cardboard, and the photos seem much more detailed and lifelike than your typical baseball card. The Frank Herrera card, for example, really pops in person much more than you would think.
 

2 comments:

  1. great roundup. Good mix. Looks like that Bowman Duke invented teeth whitening :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Pong. Hard to believe the family would get excited over deflecting a bouncing cube... but it did. Good times.

    ReplyDelete