Thursday, October 1, 2026

Wallet Card at Gilda's Club

This is hardly one of the oldest signs I've shown in this series, but it is interesting, and it looks like it's in danger of disappearing.

In 1995, six years after Gilda Radner died of cancer, her husband Gene Wilder and several other New Yorkers created Gilda's Club to help families affected by cancer. The organization has grown to many chapters nationwide, but in recent years has rebranded as Red Door International, perhaps because younger generations don't know who Gilda was. It looks like, as part of the rebrand, the building is being remodeled, and the painted sign with the cartoon of Gilda Radner on the side of the building is likely a casualty.


 

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't familiar with their foundation, but it's sad that her cartoon image might get lost in the remodel. I just looked it up online and it definitely fits the image I have of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gilda's Club was really good for my mother when she was dealing with cancer. Gene Wilder did a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete